Getting in step with one's destiny?  I like that.

Eliot, a man less buffeted by fate in the act of accepting his destiny? Certainly.
Maybe the reviewer meant to underscore E's indefatigable/heroic struggle.

"I rejoice that things are as they are ... / having to construct something / Upon which to rejoice"

Thanks,
   CR