For me the words hold less sway than the New Year's theme of Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians.
Those strains are the true objective correlative for the occasion:

"Even after Lombardo's death, the band's New Year's specials continued for two more years on CBS. The Royal Canadians were noted for playing the traditional song Auld Lang Syne as part of the celebrations. Their recording of the song still plays as the first song of the new year in Times Square."

Wikipedia
Sniff, sniff. Have a good one, y'all.
P. M.

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Turns out this was "an old song" collected by James Watson. The world has sung Burns's verse for centuries.
Happy Hogmanay,
Nancy
>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>12/31/12 7:14 PM >>>
Auld Lang Syne

Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,
and never thought upon;
The flames of Love extinguished,
and fully past and gone:
Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold,
that loving Breast of thine;
That thou canst never once reflect
On Old long syne.

  CHORUS:
    On Old long syne my Jo,
    On Old long syne,
    That thou canst never once reflect,
    On Old long syne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/auld-lang-syne-does-mean-again-151037267--abc-news-topstories.html

CR