It's hard to tell with just these scraps of evidence, but absence of Vic does not mean presence of happiness. Eliot was an accomplished poet in his own right. The poetry might have been different, but the interests and vision probably would have been the same. He was focussed on the lower class and not just for entertainment as seemed the case with Vic.
P. M.