The real problem with Lehmann's commentary seems to be a total lack of
fact checking. Sweeney Agonistes was first published in the Criterion in
1926 and 1927--six or seven years before Eliot left Vivienne. Vivienne
was not rich or an "insider." I suppose by "course" he meant "coarse"
(we can all make typos, but for something to publish or put on the web,
I would assume some copyediting.) And the play is hardly in a pub: just
when do women answer the phone in a pub? And why does Dusty say "Yes
this is Miss Dorrance's flat--"? A flat is not a pub, obviously (it is,
however, a setting--one that can be seen as more disturbing since
Periera "pays the rent" and these men come into their space--"a woman
runs a terrible risk"). How is one supposed to bother sorting out a text
that does not even get the simplest available facts and dates right?

I think Peter is right about the music hall. Nancy Hargrove has shown
how constantly Eliot used music hall songs. If you have not been to one
of Nancy and her husband Guy's presentations, you have missed a fabulous
experience: she has done massive research and show the images and
characters; Guy has a great voice and sings the songs, including this
one.
Nancy

>>> Peter Dillane 01/21/13 5:24 PM >>>

Sam’s interesting isn’t he. Veteran of a celebrated single minded force.
I suppose the CEF would have been pin up boys with Ypres still in the
mind. I think anyone who brings an aphoristic pair like K and K around
to see some girls has more than one arrow in his quiver.

Pete