Call for Papers: Swiss Studies

At the 2013 GSA Conference in Denver, Oct. 3-6, 2013

The Swiss Studies Network announces its call for papers for the 2013 annual conference of the GSA in Denver, CO, Oct. 3-6, 2013.  Founded in 2012, the Swiss Studies Network seeks to promote the study of Switzerland from a variety of disciplinary perspectives, including--but not limited to--history, political science, literature, business and economics, cultural studies, and linguistics.

From its earliest origins, Switzerland has a history of complex relations with the rest of Europe.  In but not fully of Europe, Switzerland has been for its neighbors both a model and an outlier, progressive and backwards, inspiration and irritation, idyllic refuge and thorn in the flesh.  We seek papers, from any discipline and focusing on any historical period, related to topic of "Switzerland and Europe."  Possible themes could include:

We invite papers addressing these or other topics relating to Switzerland's past or present relationship to the European continent.  While we especially encourage the submission of entire panel proposals, we are also happy to accept proposals for individual papers and will work to combine them into appropriate panels.  Proposals are due by Feb. 4, 2012, and should be sent to Peter Meilaender (Professor of Political Science, Houghton College) at [log in to unmask]  Questions can be sent to the same address.