End of 2012 Greetings!

Today while at Otter Slough CA, I stopped at one of my sort of fail-safe places for "something good", and once again, it did not disappoint. In past winters, the campground located on the east side of Otter Slough CA (located just south of the southern end of Conservation Lane) has produced Sedge and Marsh Wrens as well as winter Common Yellowthroats. There is a ditch that runs around the camping area that has cattails and reeds in it year round and seems to provide the right habitat for winter living for these birds.

Today there was either a first winter female or adult female Common Yellowthroat that hopped up to see what was making all the ruckus (that'd be me walking through the snow).

I played the recording for Marsh and Sedge Wrens, and the C. Yellowthroat popped up again when the recording reached the scold call for Marsh Wren.

I sort of expected one of the three species at this location and was walking on Cloud 9 to see that my "hunch" was correct again this year.

Best to all of you in 2013! May good health find and keep you, and may the birds come at you swiftly, yet perch long enough to satiate your thirst of their beauty, strength and/or antics!

New Year's Cheers!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.
Bloomfield, MO