Today while at RMBC I spotted a nearly all-white duck at the back of Heron Pond.  It had a darkened area over the head which stretched down the back of the neck.  It also seemed to have dark speculums.  It quickly disappeared in the watery brush on the back side of the pond and although I waited more than 30 minutes it never came back into view again.  I went down to the dam and on the way back stopped again to no avail.  Another birder and his wife also saw it and, like me, they were puzzled.  I stopped at the Audubon Center where Nopadol Paothong was preparing to have a signing.  He suggested the bird might be a leucistic Mallard.  That could be right although I thought it seemed a little bigger than a mallard.  Anyway, I hope that someone else gets a look at it.

Robert Lewis

Farmington   ---   St. Francois County