After days and days of watching large numbers of crow fly north over the
Missouri Botanical Garden at dusk, I decided to follow them this
afternoon. I found a very, very large roost of hundreds and hundreds of
crows. The nearest intersection is Hunt and Newstead (one block west of
Tower Grove Avenue). Just south of this junction there are railroad
tracks, and on the south side of the tracks there are some trees, each
with a large number of crows. There were also several hundred crows
perched on the nearby buildings. The time was 4:15 p.m. If you have seen
Hitchcock's The Birds, you cannot stop the hairs on your neck standing
up when they start calling. All in all, a beautiful birding sight.

This is an area with a mix of abandoned houses and new construction and
old businesses. You may not wish to go there alone or take your finest
pair of Swarovski bins. However, I felt completely safe there compared
to my years of living in The Bronx.

Mick Richardson, St. Louis Co.

ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5 2013 in St. Joseph, MO