Mobirders, (particularly STL-area folks)

I'm curious if anybody birding at Faust or Carondelet parks has heard White-winged crossbills vocalize? The Red crossbills are very vocal in flight, and I have found them in other areas of St. Louis by first hearing the flock and then locating them feeding, or getting a brief fly over glimpse at a flock.

While out looking for crossbills at the "hotspot" parks I have heard White-winged Crossbill vocalizations (the Sibley/Cornell subspecies' call sound familiar) only to investigate and observe other birders playing a recording on their phone elsewhere in the park... (Makes birding by ear a little more challenging...)

I'm not trying to start a debate over using playback, but to solicit feedback and see if anyone has heard white winged crossbills vocalize while feeding or flying.

Also, please consider recording the calls of any RECR you encounter, and sending the audio file to Matt Young at Cornell. Missouri has already turned up some significant findings already! This data can be helpful to understand our growing knowledge of Red Crossbill types and their movements.

Thank you to all who love birds,

Christian Hagenlocher
St. Louis, MO

Christian Hagenlocher