https://www.coursera.org/#course/modernpoetry

relates

There are approaching two million participants on coursera, worldwide - a most remarkable and commendable initiative, IMHO.

On 2 December 2012 16:09, Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 I'm not sure what you mean. Penn was not offering a course for credit, so there's no possibility of awarding credit. This should have been and likely was crystal clear in the registration process. On a certificate, which is not an official transcript, it need only be noted that the course was a non-credit course or a course for CEU's (which latter it apparently wasn't). My point was only that the negative list is so lengthy that the positive achievement is understated and loses force, and that could have been (and as a former distance learning administrator I think should have been) easily rectified. Are you familiar with the specific course?

On 12/2/2012 10:36 AM, Nancy Gish wrote:
Penn would have to include these disclaimers to assure that legally the student had not acquired credits toward a degree. It's an acknowledgement of accomplishment of which she can be proud.

Nancy

>>> Ken Armstrong 12/02/12 9:58 AM >>>
Oh my, could they have decorated their certificate with any more negatives? I'm betting it was a good course from which your partner profited, but twenty lashes with a wet noodle to the U of Penn and its English Dept for failing to put it in evidence on the certificate.  After reading all the "not's" in the fine print, one is left to wonder what the "is's" are, or if in officialdom's eyes there are any. Typical. Where have I seen that reflex before?

Ken A