Thanks, David. I would perhaps add 'circumstances' to 'innate personality traits'. Both, I suppose, account for "what might have been and what has been".

Merry Christmas!

CR

 David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Just as people tend to be extroverts or introverts, perhaps innate personality traits lead them into either asceticism or affirmation. Eliot, maybe, was a dyed-in-wool aesthete, but perhaps, especially post-Valerie, mellowed considerably in his later years.

Your article was interesting, CR. I've always associated 'East Coker' with Eliot at his finest: in a short poem, he evokes that which it took even Thomas Hardy exceedingly many more words to celebrate: it's a masterpiece of precise conciseness, yet such effective and reflective observation of ancestral agrarian village existence.

To me, but I don't think to the author of the article, the image of the dance is syonymous with and inseparable from that of Yeats - particularly eg the last stanza of 'Among Schoolchildren' .Whether this was deliberate on Eliot's part, or just a case of two great visionaries seeing the same thing, I'm not too sure of, though.

Happy Christmas Day !!

"there we have been"