Just as people tend to be extraverts or introverts, perhaps innate personality traits lead them into either ascetism or affirmation. Eliot, maybe, was a dyed-in-wool aesthete, but perhaps, especially post-Valerie, mellowed considerably in his later years.

Your article was interesting, CR. I've always associated 'East Coker' with Eliot at his finest: in a short poem, he evokes that which it took even Thomas Hardy exceedingly many more words to celebrate: it's a masterpiece of precise conciseness, yet such effective and reflective observation of ancestral agrarian village existence.

To me, but I don't think to the author of the article, the image of the dance is syonymous with and inseparable from that of Yeats - particularly eg the last stanza of 'Among Schoolchildren' .Whether this was deliberate on Eliot's part, or just a case of two great visionaries seeing the same thing, I'm not too sure of, though.

Happy Christmas Day !!