"you are the music / While the music lasts"

 Cheers,
   CR

________________________________

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:41 PM:

Haven't so far encountered these talks, but sounds as if the content thereof  is somewhat  indivisible from the work /  theology of Eliot's 1930s /40s contemporary, Charles Williams; and, to use Williams's own parlance, the aesthetic  Eliot  had taken the negative way, as opposed to the affirmative one, towards spiritual fulfillment.

But, Eliot's time with Valerie perhaps represented a belated but nonetheless very significant parting of these ways in Eliot's life.

On 18 December 2012 16:36, P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Amen!
>Thanks CR.
>P. M.
>
>Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>Reminiscent of the ideals of "holy living and holy dying ... sanctity, chastity, humility, austerity," listed by Eliot in his radio-talks titled 'The Modern Dilemma' (1932).
>

>CR
>

>________________________________
>

>Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote Monday, December 17, 2012 8:07 PM:
>

>Thanks, David, for sharing an exquisite piece, Helen Sutherland at Cockley Moor -- a Rhythm, a Rite and a Ceremony by Val Corbett. Its preface from Charles Peguy's Basic Verities, "Everything was a rhythm and a rite and a ceremony... a tradition...an inner elevation and a prayer...", reminds me of the lofty rhythm of ritual in Eliot's 'East Coker':
>

>In that open field
>If you do not come too close, if you do not come too close,
>On a summer midnight, you can hear the music
>Of the weak pipe and the little drum
>And see them dancing around the bonfire
>the association of man and woman
>In daunsinge, signifying matrimonie˜
>A dignified and commodious sacrament.
>Two and two, necessarye coniunction,
>Holding eche other by the hand or the arm
>Whiche betokeneth concorde. Round and round the fire
>Leaping through the flames, or joined in circles,
>Rustically solemn or in rustic laughter
>Lifting heavy feet in clumsy shoes,
>Earth feet, loam feet, lifted in country mirth
>Mirth of those long since under earth
>Nourishing the corn. Keeping time,
>Keeping the rhythm in their dancing
>As in their living in the living seasons
>The time of the seasons and the constellations
>The time of milking and the time of harvest
>The time of the coupling of man and woman
>And that of beasts. Feet rising and falling.
>Eating and drinking. Dung and death.
>

>Ah, it's all about "the holiness of the Heart's affections," to borrow a phrase from Keats.
>
>It is certainly not the revelry of country yokels, as an insensitive critic I recently came upon pointed out (I'm sorry I don't remember the source).
>

>Regards,
>  CR
>

>________________________________
>

>David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote Monday, December 17, 2012 4:00 AM:
>

>Rather local / obscure study, as part attached
>
>Think the extract was quoted from a preserved letter from HS, but it isn't further referenced.
>

>On 17 December 2012 05:39, P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>Marvelous, David. Source?
>>P. M.
>>
>>David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>

>>Am aware of the vast ocean liner bearing-down and the recovering from serious operation quips, but just thought it was worth including this rather more pedestrian evaluation of a home visit from Eliot, made by Helen Sutherland, a mid-twentieth century patron of (modern) art in UK:-
>>

>>‘... and who do you think was
brought here by my long friends Janet
>>and Michael Roberts one exquisite Sunday and ate
some of my
>>speciality of white currant jam? Well, TS
Eliot. It moved me very
>>much to meet him. He is beautiful to look at -
very clear-cut features
>>but so sensitively and generously moulded. I
was so deeply struck by
>>his humility and the extent of his humanity –
I found, felt, or seemed
>>to do so, what I did not at all expect or
count on, an instinctive
>>sympathy between us - though I was very shy
and he is rather silent -
>>so that I received something most special and
lovely from his visit.....'