Tough love, Nancy.  Similar to your excoriation a few weeks ago of that high school student or undergraduate who misused or misunderstood "modernist."  Be compassionate.  And celebrate that someone is celebrating TWL in this age of published and lauded collective mediocrity.

(And please accept this remark as another viewpoint, not something directed individually to you.  I am often indebted to your insights, suggestions and observations.  Thank you.)

Eugene Schlanger

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

TWL is much better read aloud, but one must feel rather sorry for Sally Gardner if this is "the" book of a lifetime for her. Has she ever been to great Shakespeare or heard Dante read aloud? There is no one book of a lifetime for anyone who reads.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>12/11/12 4:25 PM >>>
Book Of A Lifetime: The Waste Land, By TS Eliot
Sally Gardner
The Independent, 09 December 2011

"[Listening] to a friend's treasured recording of the reading by Ted Hughes. I sat, mesmerised, certain that there must be some terrible mistake. Surely this couldn't possibly be that poem, the one wrapped around with so much intellectual barbed wire that it had managed to frighten off many a mere mortal? What I was listening to was a simply electrifying, helter-skelter ride, second to none. Cinema for the mind, sweets for the tongue, music for the ear. A diamond that no amount of academic 'jug jug' should ever be allowed to dull."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/book-of-a-lifetime-the-waste-land-by-ts-eliot-6274027.html

CR