Fortunately, BTW,  the author is still around (as a rather accomplished
professional photographer) - see

http://www.valcorbettphotography.com/ -

so I've asked her if she recalls or at the time  recorded the source of the
quote.

(The attached (amateur !) pic of the Ullswater area - taken in the gloom of
yesterday - conveys the feel of the place in a way)