I'm not sure what was quirky as I've not read this specific text. But I think Menand is excellent and brings genuinely new ideas--at least when I've heard him.

I don't think there is any "whole story." One got constructed in the 30s and 40s, but it did so by simply picking one idea and following it relentlessly like a sniffer dog. There are many stories, as with anyone as complex as Eliot.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 12/07/12 3:51 PM >>>

T. S. Eliot and Modernity

Louis Menand

The New England Quarterly

Vol. 69, No. 4 (Dec., 1996), pp. 554-579

Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/366554

CR