Am aware of the vast ocean liner bearing-down and the recovering from
serious operation quips, but just thought it was worth including this
rather more pedestrian evaluation of a home visit from Eliot, made by Helen
Sutherland, a mid-twentieth century patron of (modern) art in UK:-

*... and who do you think was brought here by my long friends Janet*

*and Michael Roberts one exquisite Sunday and ate some of my*

*speciality of white currant jam? Well, TS Eliot. It moved me very*

*much to meet him. He is beautiful to look at - very clear-cut features*

*but so sensitively and generously moulded. I was so deeply struck by*

*his humility and the extent of his humanity  I found, felt, or seemed*

*to do so, what I did not at all expect or count on, an instinctive*

*sympathy between us - though I was very shy and he is rather silent -*

*so that I received something most special and lovely from his visit.....'*

**

**