Yes, it captures the magic superbly, David.
Ah TSE, what a timeless rumination on time!

CR

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:53 AM:

Try this one, Mike et al - (IMHO), superb

David

On 12 December 2012 11:42, mikemail <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It may well be a case for hearing TWL read - I prefer Alec Guinness, which was the one I first heard after Eliot.   Any preferences? or are we all purist readers to the exclusion of audio?

----- Original Message -----
From: P
Sent: 12/12/12 04:54 AM
Subject: Re: 'The Waste Land': Book of a Lifetime

Thanks, CR. I liked the academic 'jug jug'. Of course Ms Gardner should be reassured that no amount of that stuff could dull this phenomenal (and noumenal) work.
Given that no other of Eliot's work gets the same attention as TWL on this list, it would certainly seem to be the book of a life time for this ghostly crew.
P.

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Book Of A Lifetime: The Waste Land, By TS Eliot
Sally Gardner
The Independent, 09 December 2011

"[Listening] to a friend's treasured recording of the reading by Ted Hughes. I sat, mesmerised, certain that there must be some terrible mistake. Surely this couldn't possibly be that poem, the one wrapped around with so much intellectual barbed wire that it had managed to frighten off many a mere mortal? What I was listening to was a simply electrifying, helter-skelter ride, second to none. Cinema for the mind, sweets for the tongue, music for the ear. A diamond that no amount of academic 'jug jug' should ever be allowed to dull."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/book-of-a-lifetime-the-waste-land-by-ts-eliot-6274027.html

CR