Still, this is a student and one must encourage such endeavors even though a student's perspective will always be limited by his or her limited experience and understanding.

The Norton Anthology is a standard compilation used in colleges to study periods of literature.  Introductory and basic but if one reads it cover to cover one does get a good dosage of a period's prose and poetry, albeit edited.  Not the best but not a bad starting place.  The ideal of course is that the student wants more after reading a writer and goes forth into the promised land on his or her own.

As I said, encourage such stufents ventures and be compassionate of the young eager for poetry.

Eugene Schlanger

Sent from my iPhone