From: P <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Coursera

I'll bet Jerome has the inside story on Shem, but as to the answer, I can 't even figure out what the question was.
P.

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 12/4/2012 6:11 PM, P wrote:
Curious how the body figures in such clich├Ęs. Joyce would probably be able to figure it out.
Peter (verbal contortionist & logomaniac)

    Jerry's contorted worker put me in stitches, then at your suggestion put me in mind of a Joycean cliche composite: Shem the Penman:

Shem's bodily getup, it seems, included an adze of a skull, an
eight of a larkseye, the whoel of a nose, one numb arm up a
sleeve, fortytwo hairs off his uncrown, eighteen to his mock lip,
a trio of barbels from his megageg chin (sowman's son), the
wrong shoulder higher than the right, all ears, an artificial
tongue with a natural curl, not a foot to stand on, a handful of
thumbs, a blind stomach, a deaf heart, a loose liver, two fifths of
two buttocks, one gleetsteen avoirdupoider for him, a manroot
of all evil, a salmonkelt's thinskin, eelsblood in his cold toes, a
bladder tristended, so much so that young Master Shemmy on
his very first debouch at the very dawn of protohistory seeing
himself such and such, when playing with thistlewords in their
garden nursery, Griefotrofio, at Phig Streat III Shuvlin, Old
Hoeland, (would we go back there now for sounds, pillings and
sense? would we now for annas and annas? would we for full-
score eight and a liretta? for twelve blocks one bob? for four tes-
ters one groat? not for a dinar! not for jo!) dictited to of all his
little brothron and sweestureens the first riddle of the universe:
asking, when is a man not a man?

For the answer, if you don't have it, you can get it at

http://instruct.uwo.ca/english/454f/fw2.html

Gosh, thank goodness for the Internet!

Ken A