I wouldn't get so carried away. When has education not been open? And while I don't disagree that change is afoot, it might well be doing that peculiar French two-step: plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

  Again, if Coursera is backed by venture capital, isn't there an expectation (speaking of spiraling costs) of a return on investment? But (speaking of open education) I'll check the  Dec. 1 Economist at the library.

  Thanks,
  Ken

On 12/3/2012 8:44 PM, Chokh Raj wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Change is afoot, indeed!
The very concept of open education is fabulous,
its implications diverse and far-reaching!
Cheers,
CR

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: OT: Coursera
Sent: Tue, Dec 4, 2012 1:10:41 AM

Coursera and other online companies are discussed in the Dec. 1 issue of the Economist (at page 29) in an article challenging traditional universities' spiraling costs relative to the present and future benefits they bestow upon students at all levels of academic performance.

Change is afoot.

Eugene Schlanger