Call for Papers
Graduate Student Conference at Columbia University
Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures

Hangover: Epigones and the Mourning After

April 26-27, 2013

Keynote: Jacques Lezra (NYU)

Hangover is an interdisciplinary conference dealing with the elements that
linger on, for
better or for worse, in literature, culture, and politics. This conference is
reactionary--against the present critical discourses of events, of intoxication, of
revolution, and of genius. All four share a quality (the altered state) and a
temporality
(the present). And yet it is clear that any reflection on the having-been-altered
state
will necessarily be made from the perspective of the new status quo. Our
memory of the
past is imperfect. While the various currents of thought invoked above have all
in their
own ways come to terms with this headache, this conference represents an
explicit attempt
to thematize such a limitation.

The hangover as a metaphor/figure/topology seeks to engage the aftereffects of
these
various manifestations of rupture and alienation. What would it mean to
examine a
post-evental perception? A hungover politics? A reactionary writing? An epigonal
idea?
What are the implications of remainders, refusing to divide into the whole, for
postwar
literary generations and the mutation of genres? Can the hangover serve as a
lens to
focus these questions?

By isolating what hangs over from one state into the next, our conference
investigates
the position from which we ask: What was happening?

Topics could include but are certainly not limited to:

Post-war literary generation(s)
Restoration of power
Reinvestment of representation
Theory of the après garde
The Mourning After: Messianic Temporalities
Remembering the 60's
Epigones
Altered States: Sovereign Hangovers
Representations of hangovers in literature
“Awakening”
Event versus historical continuity
Literary remainders

Participants should submit an abstract of around 300 words for a 20-minute
presentation
or address questions to Michael Swellander and Ross Shields at
[log in to unmask] by
January 15th, 2012.