Call for Proposals for joint meeting of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) and American Association of Teachers of German (AATG), Orlando, FL, Nov 22-24, 2013

Integrating Language with Content across the AP and College German Curriculum (Planned AATG Session)

How do we integrate language teaching with meaningful, sophisticated content across the German curriculum? This question is relevant to German programs at all levels: AP teachers must rethink the role of content in their entire curriculum if students are to be adequately prepared for the new AP exam, and college faculty must find ways to retain significant numbers of students from lower-level to upper-level courses if their programs are to survive. The panel invites discussion of this topic from theoretical, pedagogical, and/or curricular perspectives. How do we foster in students over a few short years the language skills needed to deal with sophisticated content? How can we deal with content in a way that promotes language learning? What is the place of the communicative method in an integrated curriculum? What insights can be gained from CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) or literacy-based approaches? Send electronic submission of abstracts by December 14, 2012 to the chair, Jennifer Redmann (Franklin & Marshall College): [log in to unmask]