Call for Papers

Vicco von Bülow, aka Loriot: Facets of the “Greatest German Artist of Our Time”
On August 22nd, 2011, Germany’s most famous humorist Vicco von Bülow, alias Loriot, died at the age of 87. Heralded by the Spiegel as “the greatest German artist of our time”, Loriot shaped the lives of three generations, rehabilitated the negative image of German humor, and left behind an oeuvre that spans at least six genres and four media. This panel pays homage to this legacy, inviting participants to explore any aspect of this multi-faceted artist. Suggested topics include but are not limited to: post-war politics and the “Knollennasen-German”; Loriot’s aesthetics; Loriot and the art of the caricature; Loriot as linguist; Loriot, the “brand”; Vicco von Bülow as opera director.

Send an abstract (250 words) by December 15, 2012 to the session chair Bettina Matthias, Middlebury College: [log in to unmask]

Innovative approaches to drama-in-education for trans-cultural education
This panel explores new and innovative uses of drama- and theater-in-education to foster students’ trans-cultural competence on all levels of language learning. Product and practice at once, theater-in-education invites language learners to explore cultural similarities and differences in a collaborative setting and mediate between self and other on all levels of the production (role, colleague, performer). Drama-in-education, while not necessarily a finished product, still engages students in similar explorations and challenges them to reflect upon cultural otherness as practice on various levels (behavioral, linguistic, economic). We especially welcome contributions that include assessment tools of such creative approaches to achieving trans-cultural competence.