Seattle (Bellevue), WA

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 11/15/2012 4:22:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: RE: KC's Burroughs Audubon...why Burroughs?

The way I have always (60 yrs) heard it, is that early in the last century somebody went around the country getting nature-oriented people together to start clubs named in honor of John Burroughs,  naturalist and author of over a dozen nature about the outdoors and its critters.   One of those which survived was here in Kansas City ,  named the Burroughs Nature Club.  At the time I joined in 1948 in 8th grade,  we were associated with the National Audubon Society and sponsored a series of 5 (?) "Audubon Screen Tours" which were silent color movies by outstanding wildlife photographers such as Peterson, Pettingill, etc, who narrated the films in person to the audience.   These were held at the Edison Hall of the KC Power and Light building downtown.    These brought us lots of attention from the public and were always announced in the KC STAR, which is where I found out about them when Alan Cruickshank presented.  Some decades later,  National Audubon embarked on developing a membership that would include the local clubs and a national membershipwith Audubon Magazine, adopted the Audubon name into their club name, and for awhile shared the money paid by people for the joint membership, and the local also got new members for their contacts about meetings and field trips when non-Burroughs members paid for national membership.    Somehow our St. Louis counterpart, the Webster Groves Nature Study Society, was not brought into the "Burroughs" fold.   John Burroughs was a nationally-noted naturalist and author, and our Burroughs Audubon Library at Lake Jacomo has a set of the black leather-bound books he wrote.    I have seen a photo of Burroughs , John Muir, and Teddy Roosevelt camping in the Sierra Nevada.
      Dick Dawson
      Kansas City
      --Former president of Burroughs (I don't recall if it was after we became an official chapter of the National Audubon Society.
Incidentally,  the Buroughs Nature Club was the founding presence for most nature study groups in the KC area, nature centers, school outdoor laboratories, and nature programs in various city and county parks in our area, often because of the infliuence of John W. Banghart who was assistant director of recreation for the city,  and he and I worked together until his retirement and move to southern Texas, from when I was a junior in high school and through our founding of Environmental Science resident camps in Swope Park (which closed after 20 years due to lack of tax money to subsidize them), and Lakeside Nature Center (which 30+ years later moved in to a beautiful new facility also in Swope Park and whose members do a great deal of wildlife rehab work for the Missouri side of the metro area).