        I birded an MDC access area called Stones Corner
        late this morning.  I had just pulled up to the sign and
        didn't exit the car yet when a Sharp-shinned Hawk
        flew right in front of me and landed in a tree close by
        for a great view.

        A few minutes later a Barred Owl flushed from another
        tree.  That will make a birder's day!  This access is
        just north of Joplin, Jasper County.

        Off subject: I was reading about Mountain Bluebirds.
        Their diet on an annual basis is 92 % insects and
        8 % fruits and seeds.  The vegetable mass is no doubt
        more of a per cent during the winter.  Lots of locusts
        still out and about as someone else has also noted.

        Larry Herbert,  Joplin, MO.  certhia AT att . net.  11-21-12.

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/