Greetings my birding friends and family,

Earlier in the Fall, someone had commented in a post regarding the absence of Common Loons in MO . . . It would appear that their observation (or lack thereof) might be correct in light of a some news from the North.

According to a post from the Michigan Berrien County Birding Club list serve today from a very reliable source, there are over 200 Common Loons (from one vantage point) on Lake Michigan's SE corner along SW Michigan shoreline overlooks. Conditions created an unusually calm lake making viewing/identification easier than normal. Mixed in were a minimum of 8 Red-throated Loons as well as thousands of other "waterfowl" - notably a large number of Red-breasted Mergansers, many Horned Grebes and both Black and Surf Scoters.

One could speculate that the next cold front could start pushing these (possibly) staging birds our way. So keep that thick coat by the door, extra pair of gloves on the passenger seat as well as a scarf and your thermos next to the coffee maker at the ready. Also keep your eyes open for potential Townsend's Solitaires, another vagrant observed in SW Michigan this past weekend.

This could really turn into a super wild winter what with all the rarities already being seen in and around MO!

Bird on birding brethren!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.
Bloomfield, MO