A recent MOBIRDS posting ("Maryville area on Sunday" 11/12) which I forwarded to my brother in New York City raised an interesting question.

>Who's the "Buroughs" of Buroughs Audubon Society in KC?
My reply was: "That was a GOOD QUESTION!!!  Even when I was growing up in Missouri and had heard of KC's "Burroughs Audubon", I never had any idea or had ever even thought about it.  So, this morning, inspired by your question, and this is right down your alley, I tried to find out.  Turns out the spelling was wrong in the MOBIRDS posting made by the person who posted it; it should be Burroughs (two r's), and the mystery "Burroughs" is John Burroughs.  Turns out he has a mostly New York connection than Missouri, if any at all, which leaves me now to wonder WHY Kansas City adopted him for the name of the city's Audubon chapter. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that he wrote a book long long ago about John James Audubon.  I guess I will have to pose that question to MOBIRDS.  I'll bet there's more than just a few Missouri Birders who probably have no idea either.
Here's a couple links:
(1) John Burroughs - Wikipedia
(2) John James Audubon by John Burroughs - Full Text Free Book "

I'm sure there must be some KC folks who can answer this in a heartbeat, right?  Thanks.

Richard Rowlett
Seattle (Bellevue), WA