Could they have been American White Pelicans?

Christine Kline

Pleasant Hill / Cass County

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of J RM
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wood Storks?

I just wanted to post on here that I think I saw 3 wood storks soaring on thermals while out at Four Rivers yesterday. I have seen storks in Florida and have looked at every guide I have and this is the conclusion that I came to. They were bright white on top side and hade black primaries from wing tip to body. They were high up, but the shape of the wings and the coloration looked like wood storks to me. Very little flapping, just soaring like a turkey vulture would. As they flew over my buddy and I both saw a long bill. I saw that one was seen there a few years back, and that it was way earlier in the year, but I really think that is what I saw. They were heading south from the northern edge of the area.
Josh Murray
Kansas City