Well, no Red Crossbills yet, but this afternoon I had 6-8 Rusty Blackbirds. They
were a new yard bird for me and were seen and counted at the bubbler and
pond, too. Woo-hoo! They were in a mixed flock of C. Grackles, E. Starlings and
American Robins. The Robins were feasting again on the beautyberries, along
with Cedar Waxwings and a couple Starlings. These were taking turns at the
pond, too, until a Coopers Hawk zoomed in like a bullet. Also seen today were
Brown Creeper and 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. A Great Horned Owl has been
hooting every day before dawn and at dusk. He seems to like our little 'holler'
for the amplification it provides. All in all, this is the highest species count day
I've had in quite a while, at 21.

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis Co., MO