____________________________________
 From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent:  11/15/2012 4:22:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: RE: KC's  Burroughs Audubon...why Burroughs?

The way I have always (60 yrs) heard it, is that early in the  last century
somebody went around the country getting nature-oriented people  together
to start clubs named in honor of John Burroughs,  naturalist and  author of
over a dozen nature about the outdoors and its critters.    One of those
which survived was here in Kansas City ,  named the  Burroughs Nature Club.  At
the time I joined in 1948 in 8th grade,   we were associated with the
National Audubon Society and sponsored a series of  5 (?) "Audubon Screen Tours"
which were silent color movies by outstanding  wildlife photographers such as
Peterson, Pettingill, etc, who narrated the  films in person to the
audience.   These were held at the Edison  Hall of the KC Power and Light building
downtown.    These  brought us lots of attention from the public and were
always announced in the  KC STAR, which is where I found out about them when
Alan Cruickshank  presented.  Some decades later,  National Audubon embarked
on  developing a membership that would include the local clubs and a
national  membershipwith Audubon Magazine, adopted the Audubon name into their club
 name, and for awhile shared the money paid by people for the joint
membership,  and the local also got new members for their contacts about meetings
and field  trips when non-Burroughs members paid for national  membership.
Somehow our St. Louis counterpart, the Webster  Groves Nature Study
Society, was not brought into the "Burroughs"  fold.   John Burroughs was a
nationally-noted naturalist and author,  and our Burroughs Audubon Library at Lake
Jacomo has a set of the black  leather-bound books he wrote.    I have seen
a photo of Burroughs ,  John Muir, and Teddy Roosevelt camping in the Sierra
 Nevada.
Dick  Dawson
Kansas  City
--Former president of Burroughs (I  don't recall if it was after we became
an official chapter of the National  Audubon Society.
Incidentally,  the Buroughs Nature Club was the  founding presence for most
nature study groups in the KC area, nature centers,  school outdoor
laboratories, and nature programs in various city and county  parks in our area,
often because of the infliuence of John W. Banghart who was  assistant
director of recreation for the city,  and he and I worked  together until his
retirement and move to southern Texas, from when I was a  junior in high school
and through our founding of Environmental Science  resident camps in Swope
Park (which closed after 20 years due to lack of tax  money to subsidize
them), and Lakeside Nature Center (which 30+ years later  moved in to a beautiful
new facility also in Swope Park and whose members do a  great deal of
wildlife rehab work for the Missouri side of the metro  area).