I checked Little Dixie Lake CA (Callaway Co.) for Cave Swallows just after sunrise, but had no luck. The only waterfowl I spied in a quick scan were CANADA GEESE and GADWALL.

Next, I went to Bradford Farm (Boone Co.) to look for sparrows. The wind made things difficult at first, but once I figured out where the sparrows at the north brush pile were hunkered down, it was pretty enjoyable. HARRIS'S SPARROWS continue to invade the area. I counted up to 6 at one time in and around the brush pile this morning.

And, after many years of searching, I finally found some GAMBEL'S WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS at the brush pile. Previously, I'd only been able to find the dark-lored (Eastern) subspecies, but today the pale-lored Gambel's subspecies dominated the brush pile and Ben Williams Rd., with only a single dark-lored individual present.

Here's my eBird checklist with a couple photos of today's White-crowned (and Harris's) Sparrows: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12013783

If you're interested in comparing to a dark-lored White-crowned Sparrow, here's a link to a photo I took of one last year at Bradford: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryandouglas/6318315367/in/set-72157627982873301/

The other highlight at Bradford, in an otherwise quiet morning, was watching an adult male NORTHERN HARRIER give a pretty good chase after a lone NORTHERN BOBWHITE. They crossed through a treeline on the north edge of the property, so I'm not sure who won. The harrier was gaining ground before they went through the trees.

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow