Three of us birded Shawnee Trail CA this morning for just over
an hour.  Our favorite was a dark phase imm. Red-tailed Hawk
on Hwy M just southeast of STCA.
We missed a probable Merlin.  For the trip from Joplin up there
and through STCA  (38 miles) we had
26    Red-tailed Hawk
02    Red-shouldered Hawk
02    American Kestrel
02    Northern Harrier (low)

We had 26 species including our FOS Fox Sparrow.

When I returned home this afternoon a Red-shouldered Hawk was
enjoying a 12 inch snake for lunch.

Larry Herbert,  Joplin MO.  certhia AT att.net             11-7-12.