I just watched two(!) red-necked grebes at Long Branch lake from the E end of the dam. I took some distant shots of both of them. Most likely this is a pair. Both in winter plumage. Lots of other waterfowl om the lake, but nothing unusual. Lots (>15) of horned grebes. The other good bird was a greater yellowlegs.
Earlier had red crossbills at Thousand Hills SP.
good fall birding...