Outside my window, the bare branches of a tall tree are hosting an interesting collection of birds this morning: about 15 robins, a couple goldfinches, several yellow-rumped warblers, a male eastern bluebird, a female cardinal, a mockingbird and a white-throated sparrow. Some of the birds are flitting in an out of the tree, whichle others are staying put, but since this particular tree offers nothing in the way of food, I can only guess that the birds are trying to dry out after the cold down pour we just had. I appreciate the copany on a dreary Monday morning.

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County