---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 20 November 2012 19:43
Subject: Re: trench
To: "T. S. Eliot Discussion forum." <[log in to unmask]>

I'm moved to recount a bit of a  story:-

It started when I happened upon a local auction sale, which included
contempoaneous  WW2 diaries etc from a Territorial (ie Reservist) British
Army Staff Officer who had been very closey involved in the British
Expeditionary Force 1940 Invasion of France, that had led to the massive
and magnificent Dunkirk evacuation, following which, Britain had for many
years 'stood alone' against Hitler et al.

All this material turned-out to be from a former work colleague, and I was
very shocked indeed that it hadn't been kept with great honour by his own
surviving family.

In the end, I bought it all myself, for what turned out to be a big lot of
money, in his memory - never ever let sentiment get the better of you in
auction rooms !!

But, his Army professionalism / tradition, although only a reservist,I
think shines proudly  through this material; and, poignantly, I discovered
later that the two Chaplains, assigned to stay with the Bergues defence
garrison, had acquitted themselves very well indeed

.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farchive.catholicherald.co.uk%2Farticle%2F6th-september-1940%2F1%2Fgallantry-honours-for-two-chaplains-from-dunkirk&ei=_dqrUOTSG8bJ0QXyvICgDw&usg=AFQjCNEmKjoqK4jAHOJ4qpdZ1slOK9HYCg&sig2=8I3_vDOhBS16ov8BOC2ygw

Hope all this comes out OK - illustrates to me how the manner of  warfare
changed utterly between 1914 and 1940, but how the traditions didn't - and
that was the strength of the British Army, both then and now. Arthur's
impressions of the 'Froggie' Army were scathing, for example 'what a rabble
!! - and that's perhaps the whole point.

But, do RIP, Arthur...