I'm moved to recount a bit of a story:-
It started when I happened upon a local auction sale, which included contemporaneous WW2 diaries etc from a Territorial (ie Reservist) British Army Staff Officer who had been very closey involved in the British Expeditionary Force 1940 Invasion of France, that had led to the massive and magnificent Dunkirk evacuation, following which, Britain had for many years 'stood alone' against Hitler et al. It included a carbon copy of the original orders for the defence of the walled town of Bergues, which was critical to keeping the Germans at bay whilst the hundreds of thousands of British troops were evacuated safely from Dunkirk's harbour 'mole' and surrounding beaches - by all manner of little ships from UK ports, simply responding to the dire emergency, but with very great bravery.

Anyhow, all this material turned-out to emanate from a former work colleague, and I was very shocked indeed that it hadn't been kept with great honour by his own surviving family.
In the end, I bought it all myself, for what turned out to be a big lot of money, in his memory - never ever let sentiment get the better of you in auction rooms !!
But, his Army professionalism / tradition, although only a reservist,I think shines proudly through all this material; and, poignantly, I discovered later that the two Chaplains, assigned to stay with the Bergues defence garrison, had acquitted themselves very well indeed
. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farchive.catholicherald.co.uk%2Farticle%2F6th-september-1940%2F1%2Fgallantry-honours-for-two-chaplains-from-dunkirk&ei=_dqrUOTSG8bJ0QXyvICgDw&usg=AFQjCNEmKjoqK4jAHOJ4qpdZ1slOK9HYCg&sig2=8I3_vDOhBS16ov8BOC2ygw

Hope all this comes out OK - illustrates to me how the manner of warfare changed utterly between 1914 and 1940, but how the traditions didn't - and that was the absolute strength of the British Army, both then and now. Arthur's impressions of the 'Froggie' Army were scathing, for example 'what a rabble !! - and that's perhaps the whole point.

On 20 November 2012 18:09, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:33:43 -0800, P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In I believe it is Winnipeg, there is a neighborhood where each of 4 men
received the Victoria Cross. The street was renamed Valor Road. BUT they
each fought at different times and in different places.

I had to look. Two mistakes; it's "Valour" with the Canadian "u" and only 3,
not 4.

They were born in different countries but lived on the same block of Pine
Street, in Winnipeg. All served in WWI. Only one survived the war and he
served in WWII also.

Links to each of the VC awardees are on this webpage:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valour_Road

Regards,
    Rick Parker