I'm moved to recount a bit of a story:-
It started when I happened upon a local auction sale, which included
contemporaneous WW2 diaries etc from a Territorial (ie Reservist) British
Army Staff Officer who had been very closey involved in the British
Expeditionary Force 1940 Invasion of France, that had led to the massive
and magnificent Dunkirk evacuation, following which, Britain had for many
years 'stood alone' against Hitler et al. It included a carbon copy of the
original orders for the defence of the walled town of Bergues, which was
critical to keeping the Germans at bay whilst the hundreds of thousands of
British troops were evacuated safely from Dunkirk's harbour 'mole' and
surrounding beaches - by all manner of little ships from UK ports, simply
responding to the dire emergency, but with very great bravery.

Anyhow, all this material turned-out to emanate from a former work
colleague, and I was very shocked indeed that it hadn't been kept with
great honour by his own surviving family.
In the end, I bought it all myself, for what turned out to be a big lot of
money, in his memory - never ever let sentiment get the better of you in
auction rooms !!
But, his Army professionalism / tradition, although only a reservist,I
think shines proudly through all this material; and, poignantly, I
discovered later that the two Chaplains, assigned to stay with the Bergues
defence garrison, had acquitted themselves very well indeed
.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farchive.catholicherald.co.uk%2Farticle%2F6th-september-1940%2F1%2Fgallantry-honours-for-two-chaplains-from-dunkirk&ei=_dqrUOTSG8bJ0QXyvICgDw&usg=AFQjCNEmKjoqK4jAHOJ4qpdZ1slOK9HYCg&sig2=8I3_vDOhBS16ov8BOC2ygw

Hope all this comes out OK - illustrates to me how the manner of warfare
changed utterly between 1914 and 1940, but how the traditions didn't - and
that was the absolute strength of the British Army, both then and now.
Arthur's impressions of the 'Froggie' Army were scathing, for example 'what
a rabble !! - and that's perhaps the whole point.