I teach WWI literature. The nearest I ever could come to imagining it was in the Imperial War Museum in London. In the lower level there is a reconstruction of a trench: it's dark and you see flares and hear the five-nines and screams. I had to leave. I could not even bear a reconstruction. How did any of them live even a day?
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 11/19/12 9:54 AM >>>
"And the band played Waltzing Matilda"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFjToKuZQM

Carrol