incidentally,

a footnote to Eliot

My footnote is addressed to what David Fuller remarks as "Eliot permissive – poetry as verbal music or imagistic free play addressed to the unconscious".

A most remarkable aspect of Eliot's poetry to me is the bold and uncompromising honesty with which the poet probes hidden layers of his unconscious mind -- especially its imaginings of a fallen state, its dim apprehensions of certain vague  imperfections and inadequacies -- and their imaginative enactment in the poems, at the risk of leaving himself open to misconstrual by critics.

'Prufrock', 'Gerontion', 'The Hollow Men', and 'The Waste Land' prominently evidence this aspect of Eliot's work.

CR