An immensely valuable friend during Eliot's most exciting, crucial year in Paris.

Cheers,
  CR

From: Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:14 PM
Subject: Jean Verdenal awarded the Croix de guerre

For Rememberance Day (see also Armistice Day and Veteran's Day)
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:38:43 +0000, David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1640845/MYERS,%20CHRISTOPHER
>- my grandmother's brother. RIP.

That prompted me to search for the lost Jean Verdenal on French websites.

I came upon a photgraph of him that was published with other soldiers that
had the honor of being mentioned in dispatches:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentioned_in_Despatches#France

He was posthumously awarded a Croix de guerre (roughly the equivalent for
U.S. Bronze Star Medal and Silver Star or UK Military Cross and Military Medal):
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croix_de_guerre

He has a place of honor on a plaque memorializing doctors.
"A la gloire des internes en médecine des hôpitaux de Paris victimes de la
grande guerre"
  "morts au champ d'honneur" -- died on the field of honor (in battle) versus
  "mort pour la France" -- died for France
  http://memorial-genweb.org/~memorial2/html/fr/photo.php?id_source=39504

As I mentioned, he has a photo on the web that was published in a news
magazine/newspaper:
  http://jeanluc.dron.free.fr/th/V/slides/verdenal_jean.html
with the caption "A rempli ses fonctions avec courage et devouement. A ete
tue le 2 mai 1915 en pansant un blesse sur le champ de bataille."

"He fulfilled his duties with courage and dedication. He was killed May 2,
1915 while bandaging a wounded man on the battlefield."

Regards,
    Rick Parker