The Blackwell Companion to the Bible in English Literature
Edited by: Rebecca Lemon, Emma Mason, Jonathan Roberts and Christopher Rowland
eISBN: 9781405131605
Print publication date: 2009

CHAPTER 48. T. S. Eliot
David Fuller

Extract

The chief use of the “meaning” of a poem, in the ordinary sense, may be … to satisfy one habit of the reader, to keep his mind diverted and quiet, while the poem does its work upon him: much as the imaginary burglar is always provided with a bit of nice meat for the house-dog. ( Eliot, 1933 , p. 151) I gave the references [to Dante] in my notes [to The Waste Land ], in order to make the reader who recognised the allusion know that I meant him to recognise it, and know that he would have missed the point if he did not recognise it. ( Eliot, 1965 , p. 128) Perhaps there is no conflict between these statements, but they at least represent Eliot permissive – poetry as verbal music or imagistic free play addressed to the unconscious – and Eliot prescriptive – poetry addressed to a reader whose ability to respond fully draws on traditions of knowledge, especially the literature of Greece, Rome, and Israel, on which (as Eliot put it) Western civilization depends. Polemical about the importance of educated elites as Eliot could be, he also expressed a desire for an audience that (like Shakespeare's) “could neither read nor write” ( Eliot, 1933 , p. 152) – though of course Shakespeare's audience knew the literature of Israel – the Bible – from hearing it read aloud in church. Recognizing allusion provides information about a poem, not knowledge of it as a poem – though it can all too ...

http://www.blackwellreference.com/public/tocnode?id=g9781405131605_chunk_g978140513160548

---

'Not an after-dinner relaxation': Gladstone on translating Dante

Mark Davie, Exeter University
Journal of European Studies , Volume 24 (4): 385
SAGE - Jan 1, 1994

Abstract

The opening pages of T.S. Eliot's essay on Dante, first published in 1929, have pointed the way for much of the twentieth-century appreciation of the poet. 'I do not counsel anyone to postpone the study of Italian grammar until he has read Dante', Eliot wrote, 'but certainly there is an immense amount of knowledge which, until one has read some of his poetry with intense pleasure -- that is, with as keen pleasure as one is capable of getting from any poetry -- is positively undesirable'. Dante's meaning, he continued, 'is often expressed with such a force of compression that the elucidation of three lines needs a paragraph, and their allusions a page of commentary'. 'The style of Dante has a peculiar lucidity -- a poetic as distinguished from an intellectual lucidity. The thought may be obscure, but the word is lucid, or rather translucent' (italics original). 'Compression', 'lucidity', and hence 'intense pleasure'...

http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/sage/not-an-after-dinner-relaxation-gladstone-on-translating-dante-5P039T8pfP

'a poetic as distinguished from an intellectual lucidity' (TS Eliot)

CR