In this regard it is well worth pointing out that Eliot acknowledged that Laforgue was the first 'to teach me how to speak, to teach me the poetic possibilities of my own idiom of speech.' From Dante Eliot acknowledged having learnt 'the lessons of craft, of speech and exploration of sensibility'.  (To Criticize the Critic) A glance at Eliot's Notes to The Waste Land should enable us form some idea of the poet's indebtedness to other languages by way of quotations in those very languages.

CR

From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot's Facility with Language

You'll excuse me, Rickard, but IMHO, when a sharp and perceptive mind like Eliot's comes into contact with another language, be it Greek, Latin, French, German, Sanskrit or Pali, it is not just a language per se but through that medium an art, a culture, a way of life that informs his creative mind. He imbibes as well the rhythms of that language, the syntax and structure of its thought, as well as its vision of life. Surely it affects in many subtle ways his music of poetry. I wonder in how many subtle ways Eliot's poetry is informed by such influences.

Regards,
CR