I guess I would say it is theoretically possible--outside the text, but I don't see anything in the text that suggests it. Shakespeare is pretty likely to leave suggestions and is not at all afraid of any topic, so if it's not there I would not, if directing it, push it in that direction--though some director might see it as a new line to use in a modern production. (And I act in Shakespeare, but I am awed by directors: I never see the whole in advance they way they do.) But I have not read the text for a while: do you see any place it might fit? I can imagine finding a way to imply it in the bedroom scene between Hamlet and his mother--not as the Oedipal version but instead as one of another kind of emotional horror. And one that adds to the irony of killing off Polonius.
Nancy

>>> "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> 11/15/12 1:40 PM >>>
Is it not possible that Claudius is Prince Hamlet's father? Adding to the simmering madness, whether intelligently or emotionally portrayed and (in the play) played.

Gene Schlanger

Sent from my iPhone