Two verbs in the present tense—the same word, "rubs"—yield to a sequence of verbs in the past tense—"Licked ... Lingered ... Let fall ... Slipped ... made ... and fell asleep." But the relation of the language to its ostensible referents is equivocal. The lines don't say that the fog and the smoke were like a cat. Nor do they quite describe a city under fog. The scene is internal to Prufrock's state of mind, or to a hypothetical state of mind we have to call Prufrock in default of another designation. The apparently objective references enable us to imagine a scene, but they don't establish it as independent of Prufrock. The plural nouns—"corners ... pools ... drains"—generalize the impression and release the language from the mundane duty of referring to something: no particular corner, pool, or drain is intended. Cat and fog do not hold their places, as they would if a definite relation between them were in view. The verbs—"made a sudden leap" and "curled"—point to a cat, but "Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening" is more fog than cat. The effect is to keep the reader among the words and their internal relations, as if the apparent local meanings were an unfortunate but necessary distraction, a gesture toward an external world that has to be placated, short of being granted its independence. We are not allowed to escape from the words into another place.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/d/donoghue-words.html

CR

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:38 AM

Let me share with the list Peter's warm response to my post.
Well, reading Dame Gardner is always rewarding!
Thanks again, Peter.
CR

From: P <[log in to unmask]>;
To: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: OT (sort of) Philology. Sort of.
Sent: Thu, Nov 15, 2012 1:56:13 AM

Excellent, CR. A person who grasps that understanding, will be able to develop strong critical insights into any branch of literature that is of interest.

Cheers,
Peter

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

from the opening chapter, 'Auditory Imagination,' in The Art of T.S. Eliot

"Four Quartets is the mature achievement of a poet who has in a long period of experiment effected a modification and an enrichment of the whole English poetic tradition. It is impossible to believe that poets a hundred years hence will not be aware of what Mr Eliot has done with the English language. They may be developing his way of writing, or they may be reacting against it; they will, one feels certain, be conscious of his poetry as part of their poetic inheritance. Such a modification works backwards as well as forwards. His poetry, in becoming part of English literature, has modified our reading of earlier poetry. We, who have grown up with it, find that we read earlier poetry to some extent through it. It has affected our taste and judgment, by awakening responses to what we might otherwise not have noticed, and by attuning our ears to particular poetic effects and rhythms. Most important of all, it has made us more critically alert to the language of poets. By refreshing the poetic vocabulary of our own day, Mr Eliot has refreshed our appreciation of the poetic diction of earlier poets. He has made us more aware of its different vigour, by making us conscious of the potentialities of the language which we make dull by our common use."

CR