Well, read Hope Mirlees's poem, Paris--written before TWL and both French and English. Or Read MacDiarmid's A Drunk Man Looks at the Thistle; he also used many languages. Eliot's own way of using many languages may be his own, but using them is not.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> P 11/13/12 4:40 PM >>>
My point was that he was able to bring this enviable skill to bear on his poetry. It added a depth and richness that were peculiarly his own.
P.

Nancy Gish wrote:

Unless you have never known many people who have great facility with language, and many do, I do not understand this. There is no marvel at all--he knew Latin and several modern languages: I don't but many do.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 11/13/12 10:40 AM >>>
That facility and through that facility getting at the essence of things.
Thus, for instance, not merely learning Sanskrit but through it
getting at the heart of ancient Indian wisdom.
The marvel ceases not.

CR