It is probably a case-by-case basis. In the case of Eliot, by his own acknowledgement, much of his life is in the poems, and we do learn a great deal from study of the life. He made similar claims about Yeats and others.

It depends what is meant by "stand on their own." If one uses a strictly New Critical assumption about works of art, that might be the case. I don't share that view, and I think its general value ran its course even though it remains a useful way to introduce students to close reading.

I was trained in that view, so I have gone in the opposite direction as it came to seem, to me, more and more disconnected from life. Shakespeare is not comparable here, I think. He was creating characters, not his own voice, though it does matter that most of the sonnets are to a young man.
Nancy

>>> "[log in to unmask]" 11/13/12 2:06 PM >>>
As I age and reread the truly lasting poems I have come to conclude that poems should stand on their own, independent of the lives of the poets. In other words, a reader can grasp great language without biographical reference. This I am not deterred by the destruction of letters. Consider what little of Shakespeare we have and how weighty and worthless was that massive volume last year of Larkin's every scribble and a few years past a similar scraps collection of Bishop.

Gene Schlanger

Sent from my iPhone