I greatly appreciate your remarks, David.
Hope no one misses out on this fine article.
And just in case the URL does not work,
one might access it at Google by entering
"Telegraph UK Valerie Eliot".

Thanks,
  CR

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote Monday, November 12, 2012 10:54 AM:

Thank you, CR, an exceedingly well-informed and lucid commentary. Eg Ron Schuchard recently once mentioned Eliot's correspondence with Mary Trevelyan on the prospect of marriage, but don't think it was generally known-about in any detail.

The only inaccuracy I think is that Valerie / the Eliot Estate forbade Ackroyd from quoting *any* part of Eliot's work or correspondence.

Incidentally YouTube has a 2009 BBC TV 'Arena' Documentary, which features many of Valerie's lovingly-preserved scrapbooks recording their life together; her charm bracelets etc etc - it's very touching / fascinating.