The relationship with Mary Trevelyan is discussed in detail by Lyndall Gordon in her biography. Also, Trevelyan kept a memoir of it, though I have not seen it. But the relationship has been known about at least since Gordon in 1998. She proposed to him by the way, and was turned down, I think more than once. But they spent a lot of time together.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>11/12/12 11:07 AM >>>
Thank you, CR, an exceedingly well-informed and lucid commentary. Eg Ron Schuchard recently once mentioned Eliot's correspondence with Mary Trevelyan on the prospect of marriage, but don't think it was generally known-about in any detail.

The only inaccuracy I think is that Valerie / the Eliot Estate forbade Ackroyd from quoting *any* part of Eliot's work or correspondence.

Incidentally YouTube has a 2009 BBC TV 'Arena' Documentary, which features many of Valerie's lovingly-preserved scrapbooks recording their life together; her charm bracelets etc etc - it's very touching / fascinating.