Thank you, CR, an exceedingly well-informed and lucid commentary. Eg Ron
Schuchard recently once mentioned Eliot's correspondence with Mary
Trevelyan on the prospect of marriage, but don't think it was generally
known-about in any detail.

The only inaccuracy I think is that Valerie / the Eliot Estate forbade
Ackroyd from quoting *any* part of Eliot's work or correspondence.

Incidentally YouTube has a 2009 BBC TV 'Arena' Documentary, which features
many of Valerie's lovingly-preserved scrapbooks recording their life
together; her charm bracelets etc etc - it's very touching / fascinating.